top of page

Guide to study in Spain: Student Card

Spain is one of the most requested destinations for training or studying. Thanks to the number of centers, both universities and vocational training that currently exist in the country, many foreigners decide to come to Spain to carry out or complete their studies.

Therefore, to be able to do training and stay in Spain in a legal way during this formative stage, it is necessary and mandatory that they process the Authorization of Stay by Studies.

Authorization for Study Stay

The Study Stay Permit is an authorization that allows you to stay in Spain for a period of more than 90 days for the completion or extension of studies in an approved educational institution in Spain, in a full-time program, leading to a diploma or certificate.


  1. To not be a citizen of a state of the European Union, of the European Economic Area or of Switzerland, or a family member of citizens of those countries to whom the status of citizens of the Union applies.

  2. To not be prohibited from entering Spain and to not appear as inadmissible in the territorial space of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement to this effect.

  3. Have sufficient financial means to cover the costs of stay and return to their country.

  4. To have a public or private health insurance agreement with an insurer authorized to operate in Spain.

  5. In the case of underage students who are not accompanied by their parents or guardians, their authorizations, together with proof of the center, organization, entity, and body responsible for the activity and the period of stay.

  6. Have been admitted to an approved educational establishment in Spain for the purpose of carrying out a full-time program leading to the attainment of a diploma or certificate of study.

Documentation of the Study Stay Permit

To be able to request the Study Stay Permit correctly:

  1. National visa application, in an official form, in duplicate, duly completed and signed by the foreigner or his or her representative if they are minor. This form will be used if you are outside Spain, and you are going to make the request at the Spanish consulate. If you are in Spain, you must use the Form EX-00.

  2. Full and valid passport or travel document, recognized as valid in Spain, with minimum validity of the period for which the stay is requested.

  3. Proof of financial means necessary for the period requested and for return to the country of origin.

  4. In the case of underage students, authorization of parents or guardians, stating the center, organization, entity and body responsible for the activity and the intended period of stay.

  5. Medical insurance documentation.

  6. Proof of evidence of admission to an educational establishment.

Where to make the request of the Authorization of Stay by Studies

The request for the Authorization of Stay by Studies will be addressed to an organ or another depending on where we are.

  1. If you are outside of Spain: the application for a study stay must be made at a Spanish Consulate corresponding to your place of residence. To do this, it is necessary to provide all the documentation together with the National Visa form.

  2. If you are in Spain: the application for a study must be made to the Foreigner Offices in the city, that is to stay the one corresponding to the registration.

How long do I have to apply for a Study Stay in Spain?

You must make the request when there are at least 30 days of legal stay ahead.

Who should apply for the Study Stay?

The application for authorization must be made by the foreign student themselves. If you are a minor, your parents or guardians. The application can also be made through a lawyer, administrative manager, or social graduate.

If you are interested in obtaining a visa for studies in Spain contact us at or enter for more information

Irene Ruz


bottom of page